Do you want to be part of Cambridge’s most diverse, ambitious, exciting yet friendly and sociable music society? If so, this is the place for you.
CUMS can offer you unequalled opportunities. As well as attracting Cambridge’s finest student talent, our ensembles frequently work with top professional conductors and soloists. Our workshops and masterclasses, run by professional musicians, work on aspects of technique and interpretation. The Society organizes frequent tours – recent destinations have included Boston Massachusetts, Prague, Austria and Sweden.
Life isn’t all about hard work, and you’ll find that being a member of CUMS doesn’t end in the rehearsal room! We’ve got an active social calendar, based around post-concert parties, formal halls, Society get-togethers and dinners, plus informal post-rehearsal pub trips and curries. Performing with CUMS is a great way to meet like-minded musicians from around the University and beyond. You’ll develop friendships which could last a lifetime.
Which group is for you?
Your musical interests and standard will be important in determining which group is for you. Read through the profiles of the ensembles to find out more:
- Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra – Cambridge’s premier chamber ensemble.
- CUMS Symphony Orchestra – Cambridge’s flagship symphony orchestra.
- CUMS Concert Orchestra – A friendly, high-achieving symphony orchestra directed by some of Cambridge’s finest undergraduate conductors
- Cambridge University Wind Orchestra – A dynamic and sociable wind orchestra which performs a variety of music from symphonic works to more popular items.
- CUMS Symphony Chorus – East Anglia’s most ambitious choral society. Performs with East Anglian Chamber Orchestra and CUMS Symphony Orchestra in King’s College Chapel, West Road Concert Hall and Saffron Hall
- Cambridge University Chamber Choir – A superb small choir, made up of Cambridge’s finest Choral Scholars.
- Cambridge University Percussion Ensemble – An exciting new ensemble in the CUMS family, drawing together the finest percussionists in the University
- Cambridge University Jazz Orchestra – The University’s premier big band