CUMS Symphony Chorus is a busy and vibrant choir of approximately 120 members which gives singers the fantastic opportunity to perform some of the most dramatic and passionate choral music ever written. The chance to sing mass works such as Verdi Requiem, Mendelssohn Elijah and Mahler Symphony No.8 and other large-scale repertoire rarely performed in College Choirs, is part of what makes CUMS Symphony Chorus so special.
CUMS Symphony Chorus has truly flourished over the past 30 years, delivering exceptional performances of choral classics. A guest conductor is invited for one term each year. The Chorus also enjoys trips and performances abroad for example Florence, Prague, Tallinn, Paris, Lisbon and, most recently, Rome. If you’re passionate about singing and looking for the chance to perform some of the grandest vocal repertory, CUMS Symphony Chorus is the place for you.
Auditions: If you think CUMS Symphony Chorus is the place for you then we would love to hear you audition. See here for more information about 2016 auditions. If you have any queries, our Chorus Registrar is happy to help. We are particularly keen to welcome TENORS and BASSES!
- 13th November 2016 Mozart – Mass in C minor, Beethoven – Piano Concerto No. 5 ‘Emperor’, with East Anglia Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Graham Walker (West Road Concert Hall).
- 4th March 2017 Copland – In the Beginning, Eric Whitacre – Cloudburst, Maw – One Foot in Eden Still, I Stand, Thierry Escaich – Choral’s Dream, Toby Young – Nature’s Beauty (new work commissioned by CU Symphony Chorus) with members of CU Percussion Ensemble, Carris Jones (mezzo) and Leo Popplewell (piano), conducted by Steven Grahl (Trinity College Chapel).
- 19th March 2017 repeat of the above concert in St Paul’s Church, Covent Garden, London.
- 22nd April 2017 Come and Sing – exploring the real Mozart Requiem (original parts only) with Mark Austin.
- 17th June 2017 J. S. Bach – Mass in B minor, with CUMS Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Sir Roger Norrington (King’s College Chapel).
Chorus Committee 2016-17
Chorus Student President
Chorus Social Secretary
Review: March 2016: CUMS Symphony Chorus helps to resurrect Spohr’s ‘The Last Judgement’. Read here.
Review: 16th May 2015, Choral Workshop with David Hill (Wesley Methodist Church). Click here for a review.
Interview: Jessica Scaife talks about life as a Chorus member and the exciting programmes in the 2013-14 Season. Read here.
Review: Ralph Woodward conducts Handel, Rameau and Bach 23/2/14, Varsity. Read here.