CUMS Chorus is a busy and vibrant choir of approximately 120 members which gives singers the fantastic opportunity to perform some of the most dramatic and passionate choral music ever written. The chance to sing mass works such as Verdi Requiem, Mendelssohn Elijah and Mahler Symphony No.8 and other large-scale repertoire rarely performed in College Choirs, is part of what makes CUMS Chorus so special.
Under the direction of principal conductor Stephen Cleobury (also Director of Music, Choir of King’s College), CUMS Chorus has truly flourished over the past 30 years, delivering exceptional performances of choral classics. A guest conductor is invited for one term each year. The Chorus also enjoys trips and performances abroad for example Florence, Prague, Tallinn, Paris and, most recently, Lisbon. CUMS Chorus is involved in a number of exciting projects this coming year and will go on tour to Rome in April 2016. If you’re passionate about singing and looking for the chance to perform some of the grandest vocal repertory, CUMS Chorus is the place for you.
Auditions: If you think CUMS Chorus is the place for you then we would love to hear you audition. The next auditions have not been scheduled yet. Please contact our Chorus Registrars (Helen Smalley and Andrei Smid) to arrange it. Please contact them if you would like to audition for the Chorus but cannot make the audition time. If you have any queries, our Chorus Registrars are happy to answer any question. We are particularly keen to welcome TENORS and BASSES!
- 11th November 2015 Widor arr. Willcocks – ‘Sing!’, Berlioz – Te Deum, Saint Saëns – Symphony No3 ‘Organ’, Concerts at King’s Series – Organ Gala, Radio 3 broadcast, with BBC Concert Orchestra, conducted by Stephen Cleobury (King’s College Chapel).
- 13th November 2015 Chorus Quiz, Fundraising Event from and for the Chorus. Click here for infos.
- 21st November 2015 Rachmaninov – The Bells, Movements from The Vespers, with East Anglia Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Stephen Cleobury (King’s College Chapel).
- 4th and 6th March 2016 Spohr – The Last Judgement, with Faust Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Mark Austin (St Luke’s, Old Street, London and West Road Concert Hall, Cambridge). Reviews here.
- 1st to 4th April 2016 Tour to Rome with Mark Austin.
- 30th April 2016 Come & Sing: JS Bach – St John Passion
- 11th June 2016 Elgar – The Dream of Gerontius, with CUMS Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Stephen Cleobury (Saffron Hall).
Chorus Committee 2015/16
Chorus Student President